A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, January 15, 2006

January 13th to January 16th

Friday January 13th

As an actor, I observe a lot of superstitions. (“break a leg” don’t say the name of Shakespeare’s “Scottish play” etc.) Friday the 13th is a day I always take note of. On this day, I’ve decided to write to a man who is associated closely with the otherworldly, the paranormal, and the macabre.

Stephen King

In 1980, I was allowed to read my first ‘adult’ book, Stephen King’s “Firestarter.” I immediately became a fan. His literary output since then has become too great for me to keep up with his works, but he’s still one of my favorites.

Saturday January 14th

Today marks the 222nd anniversary of the end of the US Revolutionary War. My choice for a letter today is a man who has lived up to the ideals set forth by our founding fathers, and one of the most decorated US soldiers in our history.

General H. Norman Schwarzkopf

A New Jersey native, like me, “Storming Norman” became famous during his leadership in the first Gulf war (which began 15 years ago this week.) His military career started long before that. After the war, he wrote an autobiography called “It Doesn’t Take a Hero”, which I read and was inspired by. (One of my big regrets is that I never served in the military myself.)


Sunday January 15th

Today would have been the 77th birthday of the great American civil rights leader the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. (who unfortunately was assassinated in 1968, the year I was born.) in 1993, Dr. King was given the honor of having all 50 United States observe the third Monday in January as a holiday to remind people of his contributions. On this day of remembrance, I’ve decided to write to a man who was a close associate of Dr. King, and has carried on his legacy.

The Reverend Jesse Jackson

In 1984, the Reverend Jackson became the highest profile African American to run for the office of President of the United States. Though he didn’t win the Democratic nomination in 1984 or 1988, his electrifying speeches inspired many people of all colors (myself included) to become better citizens. I want to let him know that I appreciate his contribution to the works of Dr. King.

Monday January 16th

67 years ago an American icon, Superman, was born. Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster sold the character to DC Comics, and he’s lived on ever since. I’ve always been a comic book fan (mostly Batman) and I’m writing to the current President of DC Comics to thank him for continuing the heritage of comic book heroes.

Paul Levitz

The President of DC Comics, the oldest comics company in the US, Mr. Levitz has previously served as a writer, editor, vice president, and executive vice president at DC, overseeing the fortunes of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Flash, among others. In the Summer of 2006, the release of “Superman Returns” should bring even more attention to DC’s oldest character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home