A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Saturday, April 15, 2006

A Grammy winner writes back


Jimmy Sturr

Reference date: February 8th



On the evening of the Grammy Awards, I chose to write to a few winners. One of them was Polka legend Jimmy Sturr, who has pretty much cornered the Grammy market in his field. Imagine my surprise when I got a very nice letter back from him, with a list of his upcoming concert dates, and an invitation to speak to him after the show. I'm now a proud member of the Jimmy Sturr Polka fan club.

Here is his letter:

Dear Chris,

Thanks so much for the nice letter, I really appreciate it. Glad you enjoy our band and recordings.

The only thing that I can add is whatever your goal is, keep focused to accomplish this. You're young enough that if something doesn't work out, you still have time to do something else.

After I graduated College I went to work for my
dad in a bank, thinking I was going to be a banker all my life. However, I always had in my mind that I wanted to be a full-Time Bandleader. After 12 years I went to my dad and told him what I wanted. He gave me his blessings, I never looked back. I always wanted to be the best, I don't know if I’ll ever reach that plateau, but I'm going to keep trying.

I know you will make it someday, just don't give up.
By the way, I'm also a member of SAG. I've done quite a few commercials for TV so I had to become a member.

If you ever come to see us in person, please make sure you come up and introduce yourself. The best of luck.

Yours Truly,

Jimmy Sturr



I sent him a thank you card the next day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home