A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Friday, January 20, 2006

January 17th - 20th

Tuesday January 17th

One of the greatest Americans, Benjamin Franklin was born on this day 300 years ago. This founding father, probably most famous for his theories using a kite to explore electricity, was many things in his lifetime: scholar, author, postmaster, inventor, publisher, ambassador, scientist, philosopher, architect, visionary, entrepreneur.. I could go on and on. If anyone knew how to live a full life and not waste a moment, it was Ben Franklin. Of course I can’t write to him, but I can write to a man who was inspired by him and established a company to honor Franklin’s memory.

Dr. Stephen R. Covey

The best-selling author of “The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People” , Dr. Covey founded a company called Franklin Covey to honor his hero, Ben Franklin. All of Dr. Covey’s books and products promote Ben Franklin’s message of harnessing time effectively. I have used many of Franklin Covey’s products the past, and they’ve helped to keep me focused.

Wednesday January 18th

“American Idol” returned to the airwaves tonight for the second show of its fifth season. As an actor, I’m not a big fan of reality television, but this show has always appealed to me (as it has to the rest of America, if you look at the smash hit ratings.) One of the things that makes this show a success is the acerbic wit of the lead judge, Simon Cowell, a British producer. He is considered rude by some critics, but I think he’s just giving the contestants constructive advice. Now I want to ask him for advice.

Simon Cowell

Born into the recording industry, Simon Cowell has been an extremely successful producer in his native UK, but struck it big in the US with “American Idol.” He has made such an impression that he’s often been named one of “the most hated men in America.” No matter what people say about him, the critique he dispenses is grounded in a knowledge gained from over twenty years in the business. I respect his opinion and would like to hear from him personally.

Thursday January 19th

I read in the paper today that the owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team, Mark Cuban, realized that the music and sound effects played during games was too loud, so he banned them for one game, until the players complained and said it drained the energy from the building. I’m an “old school” sports fan who grew up going to games where the only background noise was an organ played at normal levels. I admire the stand that Mr. Cuban took, so I let him know it.

Mark Cuban

A self made billionaire, who rose from selling garbage bags door to door on the streets of Pittsburgh to founding an internet company called Broadcast.com (later sold for an incredible sum to Yahoo!) Mark Cuban is the epitome of the American Dream come true. At the age of 40, he bought the Dallas Mavericks from Ross Perot for $285 million. Since then, his antics have gotten him in trouble, costing him over $1 million in fines from the NBA (which, in his unique style, was paid entirely in pennies.) Say what you like about him, Mark Cuban is exactly what today’s fans are looking for, a deeply passionate owner, committed to winning at all costs.

Friday January 20th

This afternoon, the New Horizons spacecraft was launched from Cape Canaveral in Florida. The mission for this rocket is to get to the planet Pluto, the outer reaches of our Solar System, by 2016. This is the fastest spaceship ever built by man (it will pass the moon shortly after midnight, whereas the Apollo missions took over three days to get there.) I’ve always been fascinated by astronomy. (One of my favorite places to visit as a kid was NYC’s Hayden Planetarium.) I think this accomplishment should be noted, so I’m writing to the head of NASA.

Dr. Michael Griffin

Nominated by President Bush in April of 2005, Dr. Griffin took over NASA at an exciting and challenging time. While most politicians are cutting budgets and shying away from space exploration, Dr. Griffin is trying to encourage he next generation to become excited about science. I want to thank him for that, and to congratulate him on the launch of New Horizons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home