A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

My first gubenatorial reply!



Governor Frank Murkowski

Reference date: February 12








We get some snow here in New Jersey during the winter, but not as much as our northernmost state, Alaska. I've never been there, so I was extremely curious about life there. Who better to write to than the Governor? I did, and he replied with a very nice letter, as well as sending a brochure about his beautiful state. I will definitely visit there in the near future.


Dear Mr. Lucas:

Thank you for your letter. Alaska has many unique places to visit and things to do. I enjoy salmon fishing and boating through the beautiful green islands of our bays and ocean passages. I would recommend that you visit Mount McKinley, the highest peak in North America, located in our Denali National Park. One of the most popular and easiest ways to see as much of Alaska as you can is to take an Alaska cruise. It's the easiest way to see the beautiful land Alaska has to offer.

Being the Govemor of Alaska is a very demanding job, but it is also rewarding. I like being Govemor because I care about the issues affecting Alaska and I care about Alaska's future. Being Governor gives me power to approve or veto bills passed by the Legislature and introduce my own bills through a Legislative Committee. I am currently working very hard on building a gas pipeline that will travel 800 miles from the North Slope to the Canadian boarder then down to the lower 48 states. I hope that this pipeline is completed in the future because it is a way to better our state's economy and it will contribute to our nation's energy security by providing between 4.5-6 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day.

The most challenging part about being Governor is the time away I spend from my family. I keep in touch with my family through emails, photos, and phone calls while I am at the office.

Again, thank you for your letter. I have enclosed a travel guide for you to take a peek at some of Alaska's communities and travel destinations. I hope you can visit our great state someday.

Sincerely Yours,

Frank H. Murkowski

Governor of Alaska


I sent him a thank you email the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home