A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Friday, July 28, 2006

A reply from Julius Caesar himself






Ciaran Hinds

Reference date: February 7th






After seeing the Academy Award nominated film "Munich" in February, I sent letters out to the cast members, who did an amazing job. Today I got a reply from Irish actor Ciaran Hinds, who not only palyed Carl in "Munich", but also stars as Julius Caesar on the HBO series "Rome." In addition, he played the role of Monsieur Firmin in the film version of "Phantom of the Opera" which means that I've now gotten responses from both the stage and screen actors who portrayed that part.

Here is Mr. Hind's letter, which he mailed from the set of his latest film, "There Will be Blood" in Marfa, Texas.

Dear Chris,

I've been travelling for quite a while and just catching up with my mail, which seems to be chasing me around the place.

Thanks for your letter, sent way back in February. It's always nice to know that one's work touches a chord in some people.

As for advice, I'm hardly qualified to hand it out as I sorta make the whole thing up as I go along. I never had any game plan, or particular ambition. I just went with the flow, and I've gotta say that I've been very lucky in that respect.

I know quite a few people who have the talent, but just haven't had the breaks, and that seems to be the rub of it all. It's way out of our control.

Just try and keep working, don't believe in the idea of success, it's really just the work that matters.

As for the daily habit that has contributed to my continuing in the business - RED WINE - to keep me sane!

I wish you well.

Ciaran Hinds



I sent a thank you to him on the set of his new movie the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home