A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, August 21, 2006

Another comedy legend replies






Mel Brooks

Reference date: February 26th





I wrote a note to Mel Brooks, one of my favorite moviemakers, and a member of a small group of twelve entertainers who have won all four major show business awards (Oscar, Tony, Emmy, Grammy.)

A note came back from his office, which included an autographed copy of a film that I love, his 1983 adaptation of the comedy classic"To Be or Not To Be" (pictured above) in which Brooks starred with his wife Anne Bancroft.

This is what the note said:

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your letter. Mr. Brooks is unable to personally respond to it. His schedule is too busy for him to answer the many letters that arrive on a daily basis.

He did, however, sign the enclosed VHS tape for you. ("To Be or Not to Be" is not yet available on singular DVD.)

Thanks again!

- Brooksfilms


I sent him a thank you the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home