A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Friday, January 20, 2006

My first reply of 2006!!



Dave Smith (official Disney archivist)

Sent January 5th - Replied January 19th


Hooray! After 19 days of writing letters, I got my very first reply. It was from the letter I wrote two weeks ago to the curator of the Disney Archives, Dave Smith. In my letter, I asked for his input on my one man show about Walt Disney, and what he thought Mr. Disney's reaction might be.

This was his courteous reply..

Dear Chris:

Thank you for your letter, and for letting me know about your one-man show about Walt Disney. I am not aware that anyone has ever done one before, other than high school students who have portrayed Walt Disney in their classrooms and for National History Day projects. It is an intriguing idea, and I hope that you do well.


When you ask what Walt might have thought of your project--he would probably be embarrassed. He was a modest man who was embarrassed taking credit for his work. I wonder if there would even have been a Disney Archives if he had lived--I am told he had little interest in his history, but was always moving on to the next project.


I assume you have obtained a copy of the book I compiled, The suitable Walt Disney." One can learn a lot about the man from his quotes.


I am pleased that you have enjoyed my work through the years. Be on the lookout for a new edition of Disney A to Z in the Fall.


Sincerely,


Dave Smith

Archives Director - Walt Disney Archives

Burbank, CA

I immediately wrote a thank you note to Mr. Smith. Hopefully this is the first of many replies I am to receive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home