A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

February 23rd

Thursday February 23rd

I was looking at the TV listings tonight and noticed a number of shows dedicated to the Battle of the Alamo. I wondered why tonight, then discovered that February 23rd marks the 170th anniversary of the beginning of that historic siege. I've always been fascinated by the Alamo, particularly by the story of Davy Crockett, the "King of the Wild Frontier", who traveled from Tennessee to Texas to defend the Alamo with all the other brave men. Crockett died at the Alamo, but his legend lived on. I'm too young to have been around in the 1950's when the Walt Disney TV show that started the Davy Crockett coonskin cap craze first aired, but I watched the reruns in the 1970's. I became a Davy Crockett fan too. In honor of his memory, I'm writing to the two actors who have portrayed Crockett, both in the 50's and in the most recent retelling of the Alamo saga.


Fess Parker

Actor Fess Parker was born in Fort Worth, Texas, and played Davy Crocket (in 1954) and Daniel Boone (1964-1970) on TV. He currently owns and operates a family winery, Fess Parker Winery and Vineyard, near Santa Barbara, California along with two hotels, the Fess Parker Doubletree Resort in Santa Barbara and the Fess Parker Wine Country Inn and Spa in nearby Los Olivos.


Billy Bob Thornton

Billy Bob Thornton is an actor, director, playwright, screenwriter and singer.
In his late twenties, Thornton settled on Los Angeles to pursue his career as an actor. Like many other actors, Thornton had a difficult time, while taking on several odd jobs such as telemarketing, fast food management, and any way to support himself. Thornton kept plugging away for his big break. While Thornton was working as a waiter for an industry event, he was serving film director Billy Wilder. Thornton struck up a conversation with the screen legend, who advised the actor that given his not so movie star-like looks, he should consider writing to help utilize both his skills. Thornton put this advice to good use, going on to write, direct and star in "Sling Blade", which won Thornton an Academy Award for his screenplay (as well as a nomination for his performance), and made him an overnight movie star. His screen persona is that of a misanthrope, in the tradition of W. C. Fields. One of my favorite films of his is "Bad Santa" which holds the record for the most uses of the dreaded "F" word in a film. (Don't let your kids watch this Christmas movie!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home