A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, February 26, 2006

February 15th

Wednesday February 15th

Today was the last day of the American International Toy Fair in New York City, which I was able to attend for the first time. It’s an amazing trade show, where every toymaker in the world comes under one roof to display the hot toys for the coming year. As I walked around, I was reminded of some of my favorite toys from childhood (Magic 8 Ball, GI Joe, Monopoly, View Master reels, Stretch Armstrong, etc.) I’m writing today to the CEO of America’s largest toy store, Toys R Us (I actually worked there when I was in high school) and to the CEO’s of three toy companies. One is Mattel, a mega corporation, which now owns most of the toy companies that produced some of my favorites. The others are the heads of two recently founded toy companies that my sons love.

Gerald L. Storch

Gerald L. Storch, former Vice Chairman of Target Corporation, was recently named Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Toys “R” Us, Inc. “TRU” is based in my home state of New Jersey and is famous for its mascot, Geoffrey Giraffe. They also have a successful chain of baby stores called “Babies R Us.”

Robert A. Eckert

Robert A. Eckert is chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Mattel, Inc., the worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of toys with approximately $5 billion in annual sales. Their line of toys include Barbie, Fisher Price, Hot Wheels and Matchbox. Eckert joined Mattel in May 2000 from Kraft Foods, Inc.

Thomas J. Kalinske

Thomas Kalinske is the Chief Executive Officer of LeapFrog Enterprises Inc. Leapfrog makes computer activated learning pads for preschool children. My sons have enhanced their learning capacity by using Leapfrog products. Prior to Leapfrog, Mr. Kalinske spent six years as President and Chief Executive Officer of Sega of America. Before that he was President and Chief Executive Officer of Universal Matchbox Toy Group and Mattel Toy Inc and a Director of Knowledge Universe Inc and the Toy Industry Association.

Louis Weber

Since May 1967, Publications International’s founder, Louis Weber, has pursued a bold goal to reinvent the book publishing industry by working to create quality information products, both in the written word and other media, and to provide knowledge and enjoyment to the consumer at a reasonable price. Remaining true to that philosophy for more than 35 years, Weber has built the Lincolnwood, Illinois company into the fifth largest publisher of children’s books in the world. In fall 2003, they introduced the Story Reader, which lets kids read along to stories based on their favorite movies and TV shows. My three year old regularly uses his, and sits still for 15 minutes at a time as he learns by following the narrator on his Story Reader. What an amazing device!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home