A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

February 27th

Monday February 27th

I just read today that one of my favorite authors, E.L. Doctorow, was given two prestigious awards for his most recent work, “The March“, about General Sherman‘s destructive march through the south during the U.S. Civil War. I’m sending him a note of congratulations and thanking him for his great work.

E.L. Doctorow

Edgar Lawrence (E.L.) Doctorow is the author of several critically acclaimed novels that blend history and social criticism. Doctorow was raised in the Bronx, by second-generation parents of Russian Jewish descent. Doctorow was a voracious reader and after graduating college in 1952, he was drafted into the Army He began his career as a reader at Columbia Pictures, moved on to become an editor for New American Library in the early 1960s and worked as chief editor at Dial Press from 1964 to 1969. Although he had written books for years, it was not until the publication of “The Book of Daniel” in 1971 did he obtain acclaim. His next book, “Ragtime” was a superb commercial and critical success, he followed that with “Billy Bathgate.“ In 2006, Doctorow was awarded the PEN/Faulkner award and National Book Critic’s Circle Award for “The March.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home