A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Reply from a Canadian legend


Lynn Johnston

Sent - January 24th

Replied - February 21st


This reply comes from the legendary Canadian artist, Lynn Johnston, whose syndicated comic strip "For Better or For Worse" follows the lives of the Patterson family, and appears in over 2,000 newspapers around the world.

Unlike most comics, "For Better or For Worse" develops in real time, with the characters aging and even some dying. I've always loved Ms. Johnston's work, and the characters have felt like family, so I wrote to her asking for advice on the world of show business and entertainment.

In addition to advice directly from her, Ms. Johnston shared some words of wisdom from two of her closest friends, award winning Canadian comedian Don Harron, and the late Charles Schulz, creator of Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the whole "Peanuts" gang. It was an amazing letter, handwritten on stationery featuring the Pattersons.

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your letter - you write so well!

Words of wisdom?? Hooo - I’m not so sure I can wrap up “experience” in a nutshell! You and I are in the entertainment industry. What we create is for the enjoyment of others. I have always tried to please my audience - it’s a challenge that pleases me! Success is a beautiful stallion - impossible to ride! It’s easy to try and live up to the image people impose on you - which makes you more of a puppet than a person. Always remember there are others out there who are better than you.

Don Harron once told me that fame meant you had to behave yourself, be kind and generous and courteous, because you owe it to people who admire you to set a good example. He’s right. I try not to trash my hotel rooms.

Charles Schulz said “do your very best every single day - even when your very best doesn’t feel good enough. The next day you can do it over.” He was right. Doing your best pays off. I’m proud of what I do.

A friend in L.A. who’s a comedy writer calls the world of showbiz “the ladder of slime.” He’s right. I’ve met some horrible toads - but there are good guys out there as well. They just take time to find.

Most of all - I learned that my job could not take me away from my family. Interviews, book tours, publicity, possessions, all come crashing between you. There’s a choice to be made between being adored by strangers and being loved by your family. The fame thing is addictive and destructive. I’ve been lucky to live in the north with a man who thinks I’m worth the effort it takes to hold onto this marriage.

I’m older and wiser now. I’m a very different person than the one who had a syndicated strip launched in 1979. The old adage of “I wish I knew then what I know now” comes to mind! Still - I’m OK. My family’s OK & I’ll die with a clear conscience.

Humility is a good thing. Keep some around - always.

Good Luck!

- Lynn Johnston



I sent her a thank you card the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home