A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Saturday, March 25, 2006

A reply straight from Broadway!






Tom Galantich

Reference date: January 1st



One of the first letters I wrote this year was to Tom Galantich, an actor who is currently understudying the lead role in the smash hit Broadway show "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels." (Which, by the way, is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. If you happen to be in NYC, you have to go see it.) The first time I saw "Scoundrels" it was announced that John Lithgow, the star of the show, was going to miss the performance, and his role would be played by Tom Galantich. Naturally, I was disappointed, until I saw his performance. It was amazing! Mr. Galantich brought a debonair, Kevin Kline sort of feeling to the role, which was absolutely perfect for the way it was written. I saw the show three times more, twice with Lithgow, and once with another understudy. None were as good as Tom Galantich. As someone who would like to be doing what he does (I've been on Broadway, but never in a musical) I sent him a note complimenting him, and asking for advice. This was his kind reply: (Written on stationery from the fictional French hotel that is featured in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" - a nice touch.)

Dear Chris,

So sorry for my late (late, late) reply to your kind letter. I'm thrilled we have a fan of the show, and appreciate you recommending us to your friends and family.

I'm even more thrilled you caught one of my performances (and didn't ask for a refund). We do have a lot of fun out there.

As far as our business is concerned, there is no one thing or course of action that seems to pay off. As I'm sure you've heard, luck plays a big part in our being seen and given opportunities. If I had one piece of advice, I'd say, be as versatile as possible. Make yourself as good as possible in as many aspects of our crazy business as you can. And watch every actor you work with. Study the ones you like, figure out why, and emulate that. The same with the bad ones, except don't copy them - learn what not to do.

Finally, if you don't absolutely love it, find other interests. It's a tough game with lots of rejection. It's a roller coaster! Your family and responsibilities will help you decide if it's all worth it.

Good luck, Chris, keep doing good work, and enjoy your family. If you come to the show again, please stop by the stage door - I'd be happy to say hello.

Regards -

Tom Galantich


I sent him a thank you note a few days later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home