A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The 42nd US President replies!




President William J. Clinton

Reference date: February 20th









I was pleasantly surprised to receive a personal letter from former President Clinton, with specific answers to some of the questions I posed to him. Just like Gerald Ford's reply, it came in a cool envelope with the Presidential seal, and no postage stamp, just his signature (former Presidents get lifetime free postage.)

Here is what he had to say:



Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for your letter and your terrific questions.

There have been a number of people who have influenced me throughout my life. One of my professors at Georgetown, Carroll Quigley, was a great mentor to me. He said that,"America is the greatest nation in history because our people had always believed in two things -­that tomorrow can be better than today and that everyone of us has a personal moral responsibility to make it so." I try to live by those words to this day.

You asked me what my hopes for the future are. It has always been my dream that as Americans we learn to celebrate our differences instead of allowing them to divide us. Once we accept each other regardless of race or religion, we will truly be able to stand together as one America.

I hope I have been helpful, and I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,

Bill Clinton



I sent him a thank you note the next day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home