A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

September 10th

I was rushed to the emergency room today. A few months ago, I was diagnosed with a double hernia and stupidly put off treatment. Well, it came back to bite me. I couldn't walk and was doubled over in pain. As I sat there in the ER, I reflected on the many doctors I've gotten to know through television. (This is how I get all of my medical information. Not too bright, I know.) I've decided to write to some of my favorite TV doctors.



St. Elsewhere - My all time favorite TV medical show, groundbreaking for its time, and it helped to rescue the fortunes of NBC in the 1980's. Some of the best TV doctors ever! (I've already writen to two of them, Denzel Washington and Howie Mandel.)

Ed Begley, Jr.

Norman Lloyd

David Morse

Stephen Furst

Mark Harmon



M*A*S*H - A great commentary on both war and the gallows humor surgeons deploy to face the fact that they hold life in their hands as they operate. The finale is still the highest rated TV show ever.

Harry Morgan

Wayne Rogers



Dr. Kildare - The original "hot young doctor" medical drama. It's star made people see doctors in a different light.

Richard Chamberlain



Marcus Welby - the opposite of "Kildare", this was about a kindly old doctor who used traditional methods to treat patients in a rapidly modernizing world.

James Brolin



Trapper John, M.D. Technically a sequel to "M*A*S*H", this one hour drama followed the post-Korean War career of Trapper John McIntyre (played by a diferent actor) and his young hotshot protege.

Pernell Roberts

Gregory Harrison




Quincy, M.E. - More of a murder mystery series than a medical show, Quincy nonetheless set the stage for all the forensic shows that populate television in 2006.

Jack Klugman

Robert Ito




Doogie Howser, M.D. - A show about a young doctor still in his teens should have streched credibility beyond belief, but it actually worked and became a big hit.

Neil Patrick Harris



E.R. - The show that revived (no pun intended) medical dramas in the 1990's. It launched George Clooney to stardom and is still going strong as NBC's 10PM Thursday night anchor.

Anthony Edwards

Noah Wyle

Eriq LaSalle




Scrubs - A very funny show about life in a hospital, with some of the brightest young stars in Hollywood and cameos by some big names.

Zach Braff

John C. McGinley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home