A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

October 28th - 30th

October 30th

1972 - The "Rumble in the Jungle" heavyweight fight between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman. One of the most famous boxing matches ever held. It was televised live worldwide from Zaire and was so resonant that it has been the subject of an Academy Award winning documentary and two feature films. Unfortunately, due to his disability, I cannot write to Mr. Ali anymore, but I can write to some of the others who played key roles in this historic event.

George Foreman

Don King

Angelo Dundee




October 29th

1886 - the very first tickertape parade is held in NYC. Since then, there have been almost 300 of them. I'm writing to a man who has been honored twice, and who had the largest turnout ever in 1962.

John Glenn



October 28th

It's the 40th anniversary of one of my all-time favorite animated TV specials: "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!" Hard to believe it's been four decades since Snoopy fiorst fought the Red Baron and Linus hung out all night in the pumpkin patch. Charles Schultz, the creator of Peanuts passed away a few years ago, so I'm writing to the Emmy Award winning animator who brought life to these characters for TV.

Bill Melendez

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home