A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Friday, October 27, 2006

October 23rd

It's World Series time again. Our national past time: baseball, the American game, born in Hoboken, NJ (just a few miles from where I grew up) 150 years ago.

Baseball has meant a lot to my family, and my father's life was literally changed by the game. (See February 24th posting for details)

One of the best essays ever done on how the game of baseball symbolizes all that we stand for in the United States and how it's a deep part of the American fabric was the 1994 PBS documentary by filmmaker Ken Burns. The movie was broken up into nine "innings" covering the timeline of baseball from the 1850's to the 1990's. I had the chance to watch a bit of it again tonight, and I'm writing to the director, and some of the notable people who show up in the film to comment on the sport.

Ken Burns

Bob Costas

Mario Cuomo

George F. Will

Daniel Okrent

John Sayles

Studs Terkel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home