A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

January 21st - January 23rd

Saturday January 21st

My three year old son is obsessed with McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets and French fries. Every time we pass one of the “golden arches” he begs my wife and I to stop and buy him a happy meal. (Maybe it’s the toy he’s interested in.) We give in to him (OK, we spoil him) because it’s great to see such a big smile come over his face. I eat McDonalds as often as I can (my 30 year plus body has some dietary restrictions now) and I still enjoy their food. I can recall when I was younger and a McDonalds opened up right down the block from us. My Dad’s Friday treat was to take my brother and I for a meal there. Ronald McDonald has been like a family friend ever since. It’s about time I let the current CEO of McDonalds know how much the company means to me.

Jim Skinner

Jim Skinner was elected McDonald’s Chief Executive Officer in November 2004. He continues the legacy of the company’s legendary founder, Ray Kroc. Mr. Skinner is truly an American business success story, as he rose through the ranks of McDonalds to become CEO. (Skinner began his career with McDonald's in 1971 as a restaurant manager trainee in Carpentersville, Illinois.)

Sunday January 22nd

Today marks the 25th anniversary of the debut of “Hill Street Blues”, a show that changed the look of television. Regarded as a hallmark in American dramatic television, it was the first dramatic series to incorporate long shots and handheld shots and continuous storylines. Nominated for 21 Emmys for its first season - a record despite having low ratings, the show was almost cancelled and NBC had faith, bringing it back for a second season. It went on to win more Emmys than almost any other show in TV history. I remember where I was when I watched the first episode, and the show was one of my favorites throughout high school. I’m writing to a few of the key cast members and creative staff to congratulate them on the anniversary.

Steven Bochco

The brains behind “Hill Street”, he was a student at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, in “The Hill” district, which inspired the show (although they never mention what city they are in, most people think it’s Chicago.) after “Hill Street Blues”, Bochco became one of the most powerful men in show business, creating classics like “LA Law”, “Doogie Howser MD” and “NYPD Blue.” In 2005, he took control of one of the hits of the new season, ABC’s “Commander In Chief.”

Daniel J. Travanti

The face of “Hill Street Blues”, he played Captain Frank Furillo for six seasons and won two Emmy awards. He mostly does theater work now.

Veronica Hamel

A native of Philadelphia, she played DA Joyce Davenport, the love interest to Captain Furillo. In recent years, she’s made appearances on hot TV shows like “Third watch” and “Lost.”

Charles Haid

A college roommate of Bochco’s, Haid played the controversial cop Andy Renko, who was supposed to die in the first episode, but was so popular he was brought back and lasted the duration of the show. Haid has won awards for his direction of current shows like “ER.”

Robert Prosky

Had a tough job, taking over the desk sergeant’s role after the original actor, Michael Conrad, died. Post “Hill Street”, he appeared in popular movies like “Mrs. Doubtfire” “Rudy” and “Broadcast News.”

James Sikking

Had the scene-stealing role as the gung-ho, often volatile and emotionally unpredictable Lt. Howard Hunter. Later worked on another Bochco show as the father of Doogie Howser.

Joe Spano

Played the pacifist Detective Henry Goldblum. Is a well respected actor in Hollywood. No less than Tom Hanks credits Joe Spano as his first serious role model and source of inspiration as an actor.

Betty Thomas

Won an Emmy award for her role as Sgt. Lucy Bates. After “Hill Street” she turned to directing, helming such films as “The Brady Bunch Movie”, “Private Parts” and “28 Days.”

Bruce Weitz

He played the crazy cop Mick Belker, the most famous character on “Hill Street“. Weitz has made appearances on other TV shows in recent years, but is currently the mayor of Reseda, California.

George Wyner

Played District Attorney Bernstein on the show, but has been a steadily working character actor in both film and television since the early 1970s, with over 100 guest appearances and several regular roles in various TV comedies and dramas. Easily recognizable with his bald head, nervous demeanor and oversized glasses.

Monday January 23rd

They cancelled “The West Wing”!! One of my all time favorite shows, NBC moved it from Wednesdays to Sundays, and the ratings dropped. Even though the critics said that the seven year old show about the inner workings of the White House was hitting its stride again, yet NBC pulled the plug. I’m upset! It was intelligently written, well acted and deserved a few more years. To commiserate I’m writing to the actor who played my favorite character.

Richard Schiff

Toby Ziegler, the head speechwriter for the President, was considered a morose and depressing character, but still extremely likeable. I think that’s due to the genius of the actor who played him, Richard Schiff. He won an Emmy for the role, and has since played big roles in films like “Ray” and “I Am Sam.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home