A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Reply number six



Goose Gossage

Sent January 10th - Replied February 17th


This next reply comes from my favorite baseball player, former Yankee Rich "Goose" Gossage, who was the premiere reliever in the American League during the late 1970's and early 1980's. One time when I met him as a little boy, he offered me a "knuckle sandwich' when I wouldn't shut up about being hungry. I mentioned that story in my letter to him. This was his reply (written entirely on his autographed picture.)


Dear Chris,

Best wishes to my good buddy.

WORK HARD at your profession, you have to be totally committed to what you want to do. Preparation leads to confidence. Having confidence is the key to our success.

Always believe in yourself. If you don't have confidence, I have a knuckle sandwich waiting for you! Ha ha!

Your pal,

Goose Gossage

NY Yankees #54


I sent him a thank you the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home