A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, February 12, 2006

The best reply so far!



Daniel J. Travanti

Sent January 22nd - replied February 1st


The 5th reply of the year came from "Hill Street Blues" star Daniel J. Travanti (Captain Furillo) and I was blown away!! It was a four page letter addressing all of my questions about achieving success in show business, specifically about pitfalls to avoid. Some of you reading this blog may be aspiring performers. This is one letter you should take to heart, because it comes from the heart. (plus, he replied to me just a few days after I sent my letter to him. What a standup guy!)



Dear Chris,

Remember that no one in show business cares if you come in. When I started, I thought all were eager to find me. I thought producers directors and studios would welcome talent. I thought they all knew talent when they saw it. That they couldn't resist it. You have to care more than anyone. They don't.

Your parents and friends can't help. They love you no matter what you do. They are dangerous though. They know nothing about being a performing artist (or are you related to one?). Yet they have the strongest opinions on the subject. They would not be so bold as to have definite opinions about the technical details of nuclear fission, but knowing next to nothing about the world of theater they are anxious to warn and guide you.

Can you see the pit?

If you are going to make it, no one can stop you. You will be looking for those talented and daring and undaunted few who - like you - feel they have something special to offer. I hope you think so. I identify with only those. Though I have doubted me on occasion, my only real suffering has come from fearing that "they" would not give me the chances every performer needs to prove his worth. I suffer still. But I do not doubt my abilities.

What are the casting people looking for? Someone to fill a slot. If you shine in that slot you may get another. But maybe not. How many acceptances or refusals constitute success or failure? I don't know. Because your tolerance level belongs only to you.

Can you see the pit?

My business is to beat the odds. My top priority is HEALTH. The most boring thing old people teach is 'If you have your health you have everything.' It's the only pure truth they ever told. Stay ready, poised, and free.

Freedom for some is family. Freedom for others is being unattached except to the family that made you.

I am never late, unless I'm tripped up. I start out early so I have avoided many slipups. I am always prepared. There are people standing in line to take your place, remember.

I eat correctly. I do not smoke or drink alcohol (for over thirty-two years.) I exercise my body.

I read, read, read, only good writing! Your critical faculty ought to be sharp enough to discriminate.

I am a good friend and brother and uncle.

I pay my bills. No debts. NO debts. If I couldn't afford it, I didn't try to buy it. I still don't.

All the details have to contribute to my work: house, family, friends, animals, colleagues, THINGS. No thing hinders me. MY mind and spirit threaten to slow me, however, on occasion.

Can you see the pit?

I have no idea, none, how to make it!

I have always known how to act well (better some times than at others). I was rescued by circumstances from my self destruction. Thirty-three and a half years ago I became a recovering alcoholic. Without the infirmity and solution I might not have the practices of body and mind that sustain me. Some of us get what we need.

I learn something new every day. That's not a platitude. I do.

I know I can act. I haven't come close to my limits yet. I may never have the chance. I'm a good talker and I can write. That's all. In every other way I am mediocre. I have no idea how to make it. But I'm good at surviving.

Oh, have fun! Seriously. It ought to be earnest pleasure. If it only hurts, I would suspect it is not for you. There will be (is) pain always. But satisfaction should rule.

Sincerely,

Daniel J. Travanti


I sent him a thank you shortly after getting this letter.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

That IS an incredibly inspiring response. You might not believe this but I was actually planning on writing to him.
After reading your post, I'm so ... I dunno ... motivated?

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How absolutely cool! I knew he would be happy that you contacted him. I'm really glad that you took the step and wrote. Awesome!

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home