A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Royal rejection!



King Harald V of Norway

Sent January 6th - replied February 24th


You may remember that on Three Kings Day (January 6th) I wrote to three actual Kings (the King of Norway, the King of Morocco, and the King of Samoa.)

I sent the letters out with great enthusiasm, asking all three Kings questions about places to visit in their country, and also about the challenges of being a monarch in the 21st Century.

Unfortunately, being an American and not having much contact with royalty, I was unaware of the European protocol when writing to a King. One may not address letters directly to a King, but only to His Private Secretary. (Much like the custom of not speaking to the Queen of England until she deigns to speak to you.)

King Harald of Norway replied to my letter (at least his Private Secretary did, anyway.) This was the answer (written on official Royal Norwegian Stationery):

Dear Mr. Lucas,


His Majesty King Harald has asked me to thank you for your letter of 6 January requesting His Majesty's reply to various questions regarding favourite spots in Norway and the challenges of being a monarch.


In view of the many communications of this nature received by The King, I am sure you will understand that it will not be possible to grant your request.


Yours Sincerely,

K. Brakstad

Acting Private Secretary To H.M. The King

Oslo, Norway


If I was going to be rejected by royalty, that was the nicest possible way they could have done it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home