A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, March 06, 2006

March 1st

Wednesday March 1st

My wife and I have a bunch of television shows that we watch on a weekly basis (“Lost”, “The Apprentice”, “American Idol”, “Survivor”, etc.) so I swore that I wouldn’t get hooked into another one. (Who has time for it when you‘re writing all these letters?) Tonight, however, she put a new NBC game show on called “Deal or No Deal.” Despite my protests, I became a fan of the show, which is clever in its simplicity.

Contestants choose briefcases which contain amounts ranging from one penny to millions of dollars. As the cases are opened and numbers are revealed, a banker phones the host and offers money for the contestants to walk away. The contestant can either take the money, or continue playing, risking it all on an unknown briefcase. (Tonight’s show featured a woman who turned down an offer of $250,000 to continue playing, and walked away with a grand total of $5. Ouch!)

This naked display of greed might not be as entertaining without a host that strikes the right tone of sympathy and enthusiasm. NBC found the perfect man in stand-up comic/actor Howie Mandel, a favorite of mine since the 1980‘s.. I’m letting howie know how much he’s influenced me, and how I’m enjoying his new show.

Howie Mandel

Howie Mandel is a Canadian-born comedian and actor who came to national attention in the United States during a six-year stint on the Emmy winning NBC drama St. Elsewhere. He was also the creator and executive producer of the Emmy-nominated children's animated series, Bobby's World, which ran for eight seasons on Fox. More recently, he is known for his frequent appearances as a stand-up comedian and for his hidden camera segments on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. In April 2004, he was selected as number 82 on Comedy Central's list of the 100 greatest stand-ups of all time. In October 2005, he was named to be the host of the U.S. version of Deal or No Deal, which debuted on December 19, 2005, on NBC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home