A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The "Lord"of the theater world replies.




Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber

Reference Date: June 11th







When I sent a letter to theater legend (and British Lord) Andrew Lloyd Webber, I never expected a reply. (Statistically, I only expect 15% of the people I write to this year to reply. The question is, which 15 percent?) To my surprise, an envelope came in the mail this week from the Really Useful Group, his producion company. Inside was a letter, on his personal stationery, from Lord Llloyd Webber, composer of such classics as "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat", "Jesus Christ Superstar", "Evita", Cats" and, of course, "Phantom of the Opera."

This is what he wrote:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your very kind recent letter.

I completely appreciate how hard it is for actors to break into the industry. Really the only advice I can give is to get involved in as much as possible, whether it's amateur or professional, fringe or unpaid, etc.

I wish you every success in your carer. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write in.

Yours sincerely,

Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber


I sent him a thank you the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home