A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, October 16, 2006

Mrs. Brady replies!




Florence Henderson

Reference Date: May 14th







Like most children raised in the 1970's, I had a surrogate TV mom. For people in the 1950's and 60's it was Donna Reed or June Cleaver, but for my generation it was none other than Carol Brady of "The Brady Bunch." Through countless reruns, Mrs. Brady dispensed motherly advice and wisdom, and had a direct impact on millions of impressionable young minds.

Though Carol Brady was fictional, the woman who played her, Florence Henderson, is an icon. To this day, she is closely identifuied with her TV alter ego, and is beloved by people in their 30's and 40's, many of whom (like me) are now parents.

I wrote to Ms. Henderson to express my admiration for her, and to ask for some advice on a show business career. She was kind enough to respond by email through her official website, FloHome.com . This is what she had to say:


Dear Chris,

Thanks for all your kind words.

I learned early in my career to keep a cool head and a warm heart.

Don't lose your individuality.

Try to stay centered and remember those who lend a helping hand.

The lesson I've learned is that our business is very tough and if your'e not willing to give 150% to every thing you do no matter how small it is, then you shouldn't be in this business.

I think prayer and hard work and the talents God gave me have been most responsible for my success.

Much good luck to you,

Florence Henderson


I sent her a thank you email immediately after I got hers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool! Good ole Flo

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if Shelly Long and Florence Henderson ever met when Shelly was playing her in the Brady Bunch movies. If they did, I suppose Flo would've given "Carol Brady" advice? That must be confusing, but I love the Brady movies and I think Shelly did an amazing Carol Brady, too!! xxx ooo Matty

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home