A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, October 16, 2006

October 9th

The Japanese video game character Pac Man made his U.S. debut on this day in 1980, becoming an instant sensation. As someone who came of age in the 1980's, I can attest to the power of this game. It launched the video game craze in this country, and had arcades filled to the max. (I know i must have wasted many hours and hundreds of dollars worth of quarters.)

At one point, this yellow guy with the odd shape (its inventor said he was inspired by a pizza with a slice missing) was everywhere, even spawning a Saturday morning TV show and a Christmas special. It was also the best selling video game ever on the old Atari 2600 (which looks like a dinosaur today.) I'm writing to the CEO of Atari, the animation legend who brought Pac man to TV, and the guy who gave Pac Man a voice.

Nolan Bushnell - Atari founder

Joseph Barbera - CEO Hanna Barbera Animation

Marty Ingels

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In January, 1979, I reported for duty at Torii Station, Okinawa, Japan. At the tender age of 19, I was exposed to this thing... this sort of low-slung table, with an oversized glass top and a little black-and-white TV set under the glass, facing the sky. At opposite ends of the table was a chair and a solitary white round knob, and by one of them, there was also a coin slot. At that time, the strong dollar bought you about ¥200, so for about fifty cents, two people could play two games of PONG, or share a can of Schlitz (or two packs of Viceroys). Bit-o-trivia: The can, as a vessel for delivering beverages, had been used by soda and beer companies for domestic and overseas GIs since the 50s, but had only recently gained acceptance by mainstream America! Anyways, you start connecting those pull-ring pop-tops (invented in 1963 but not replaced until the late 80s), and you have a gorgeous long, LONG chain in no time and this made blowing that kind of money on a game no-one could master seem like a complete rip-off, not to mention a complete waste of time.

I still think so!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home