A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, November 19, 2006

A U.S. Supreme Court Justice replies





Justice Samuel Alito

Reference date: March 20th





Back in March, when I had to make an appearance in court, I wrote to a few of my favorite jurists, including the gentleman from my home state (New Jersey)who was just appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court, Samuel Alito. I was happy to get a letter from him on official Supreme Court stationery today, but was surprised that Justice Alito mentioned my father in his reply, because I didn't bring dad up,at all in my letter to him. (My father's reputation and shadow follows me everyhwere, something I'm extremely proud of.) This is what Justice Alito wrote:

Dear Mr. Lucas:

Thank you for your letter and for your kind words.

Your father is a truly remarkable man, and you have every reason to be extremely proud of him. He is certainly an inspiration to many parents who seek the very best for their children.

Regarding your request for motivational advice or words of encouragement, I can only offer the following thought that everyone with dreams should realize that with determination it is often possible to achieve great things (as your father did) in our wonderful country.

Sincerely,

Samuel A. Alito, Jr.



I sent him a thank you the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home