A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, November 19, 2006

November 16th

Twenty five years ago today, I was in my seventh grade classroom when my teacher wheeled in a televison set so that we could watch a momentous occasion. Was this a space shuttle launch or Presidential address? Nope, it was an episode of a soap opera.

No ordinary episode, however. This was the wedding of Luke and Laura on ABC's "General Hospital." The whole country was hooked on the storyline and these vows were highly anticipated. It is still the highest rated daytime TV show ever on American TV.

I'm writing to the two actors who played Luke and Laura and also to the Hollywood legnd who made an appearance on the show as their nemesis.

Anthony Geary

Genie Francis

Elizabeth Taylor

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO!? Holy Crap! I was a Chinese linguist in the Army, stationed at Torii Station in Okinawa. We got one tv channel there, FEN (the Far East Network) and our programming was limited, but, General Hospital was one of them, and you better believe every GI was glued to the tv!
When Luke and Laura got married you'd have thought it was Charles and Diana (and I am still not sure which wedding got the better ratings!)
And, I can STILL sing the General Hospitale song by heart (did you know this was in the top 40 on the radio at the time?)
"It started out in Port Charles town,
Frank Smith's mob used to hang around,
No one could prove that he was a crook,
Till Luke stole his little black book..."
xxx ooo Matty

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home