A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

An NBA Coaching legend replies




Pat Riley

Reference date: June 21st







When the Miami heat won the NBA Championship this past summer, I sent a note to the head coach, Pat Riley, to congratulate him on winning his seventh championship (see picture with rings above.) It took a while (he was probably enjoying a well deserved vacation) but Coach Riley sent me back a very nice letter on his personal note card embossed with the NBA logo. This is what it said:

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your recent letter and for sending along your congratulations to the Miami Heat for winning the 2006 NBA Championship.

As for your questions about motivational advice, I wish there were tried and true answers, but there are none. I can tell you, though, that we won the championship by putting our hearts and souls into it. We never gave up. We believed in ourselves.

My father always said to plant your feet, stand firm, and make a point about who you are and what you believe in. When that time comes, you simply have to do it.

- Pat Riley


I sent him a thank you the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home