A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

An Academy Award winning director replies





Peter Jackson

Reference date: March 2nd






When the Hollywood trade papers announced that a live action trilogy version of JRR Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" was being produced, I was skeptical about its success. Boy was I proven wrong! Thanks to the singular vision and dedication of director Peter Jackson, Middle Earth was brought to life like few ever expected. Mr. Jackson's efforts were rewarded with the Academy Award for Best Director when the last of the three films was released. He followed up this phenomenal accomplishment with a reimagining of the 1933 classic "King Kong." I wrote to him to commend him on his artisitic achievements, and got a very nice reply, mailed all the way from his offices in New Zealand. This is what he had to say:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your letter.

I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoy my work. All of my films are the result of many hours of long, hard work but they are made worthwhile when I receive letters like yours.

I think that if one has a dream, as you do, then you must never give up.

My advice to you would be simply to get out there, and although I never had any formal training, you should approach local schools and find out about the courses they have available. From there you will be able to make contacts with regards to finding further work.

Chris, if you are as passionate about what you are doing as you seem, then you'll surely go far.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Kind Regards,

Peter Jackson


I sent him a thank you the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home