A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, January 30, 2006

January 24th - January 26th

Tuesday January 24th

According to a psychological study that appeared in several papers, today is considered the most depressing day of the year. The reasons given are a variety of stress factors, including lack of light, bad weather, debt from holiday shopping, distance in days from the next holiday season, the start of tax season and self loathing from broken New Year’s resolutions. I didn’t feel depressed when I started reading the paper, but the article brought my mood way down. Luckily, I turned the page and found the section that always brings a smile to my face, the “funny pages.“ I look at most of the comics included in the section, but there are four in particular that consistently tickle my funny bone. I’m going to drop a note to their creators to say thanks for the laughs.

Bill Amend

Mr. Amend‘s “Foxtrot” has been around since 1988. It follows the exploits of the Fox family. My favorite character is Jason , the youngest son, who has a high IQ, is a computer geek, sci fi fan, and torments his teenage sister and brother. Reading this strip is a daily treat.

Lynn Johnston

Ms. Johnston‘ s award winning Canadian comic, “For Better or For Worse” has almost a documentary feel to it. While there are plenty of laughs, it sometimes has melancholy overtones, and has followed the exploits of the Patterson family in real time. When the family dog Farley died in the comic, it made national news. That’s how you know you’ve made a cultural impact.

Bill Keane

From the time I learned to read, “Family Circus” has been there for me. Unlike “For Better or For Worse”, the kids in “Family Circus” haven’t aged at all. Little Billy Jeffy and Dolly are still learning life lessons and imparting wisdom decades after they began appearing in the papers. I couldn’t imagine the comics without them.

Mike Peters

In addition to his award winning political cartoons, Mr. Peters is famous for his contribution to the pop culture world, “Mother Goose and Grimm.” his mischievous yellow dog, Grimmy, has been featured in Tv cartoons, greeting cards, parade floats, and theme parks. Every day, “Grimm” pokes holes in celebrities inflated egos, re-imagines fairy tales and classic stories, and comments on life from a dog’s perspective.


Wednesday January 25th

My brother-in-law Terry had serious back surgery this week. He is a New York Jets season ticket holder and a passionate fan. Due to the surgery, Terry will be homebound for a while, and I was trying to find a way to cheer him up. I thought maybe a phone call or a note of encouragement from some of his favorite Jets players would do the trick, so I wrote to a few, asking just them to contact him.

Wayne Chrebet

One of the most popular Jets in recent years, the diminutive Chrebet was a scrappy wide reciever who defied the odds and went from a small college like Hofstra to a starring role on an NFL team. Unfortunately, a series of concussions forced him to retire after the 2005 season.


Vinny Testaverde

An NFL legend, this Heisman Trophy winning quarterback came to the Jets in the late 1990’s and brought them back to glory. As a Long island native, he became a local hero, and threw the last touchdown in “Monday Night Football” history in December 2005. He is expected to announce his retirement this month.

Joe Klecko

A member of the Jets “NY Sack Exchange” of the 1980’s, Klecko is a Jet legend, and had his number retired just a few years ago.

Dennis Byrd

Three years into his Jets career, Byrd was paralyzed during a game. His story of recovery has become an inspiration and was the basis of the best selling book “Rise and Walk”, which was then made into a movie.

Chad Pennington

A first round draft pick of the Jets, Pennington holds the future hopes of Jets fans in his hands. The quarterback led the team to playoff appearances in recent seasons, but has also spent a majority of his time on the injury list. He is expected to return to lead the team in 2006.


Thursday January 26th

I took my three year old son to see “Disney’s Princeses on Ice” today at the Meadowlands Arena. Even hours after the show, he is recreating scenes from it, and singing the songs. (He told me he wants to grow up to be a princess. We’ll have to talk about that.) It reminded me of the first time I saw an ice show. In 1972, my grandmother and father took me to see the Ice Capades at Madison Square Garden. One of the reasons they took me was because that year’s edition featured characters from Sid and Marty Krofft’s “Lidsville”, my favorite show. (It was a live action show about a village full of talking hats. I know, people were doing lots of drugs back then.) Luckily, I still have the program from that show (I’ve always been a pack rat, much to my wife’s dismay) so I looked at it, and saw that the star of the show was Jo Jo Starbuck. I’m going to write to her and let her know how much of a lasting impact her performance from 34 years ago made on me.

JoJo Starbuck

One of the most famous names in ice skating, she won the 1970 and 1972 U.S. Figure Skating Pairs Championships. I also remember her from commercials in the 1970’s and 1980’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home