A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Friday, February 10, 2006

Reply number four



Benji the dog / Joe Camp

Sent January 29th - Replied February 3rd


This is a reply from Benji the dog. Well, actually his trainer and owner Joe Camp. I told him how much I loved the Benji films, and asked him for advice in navigating the show business world. I sent him a letter on January 29th (the first day of the Chinese New Year - year of the dog - and he answered on February 3rd. This was his reply (Mr. Camp included a few plugs for his Benji products and I've left them in. if he's nice enough to respond, I'll happily promote his books and videos):

Chris...

I appreciate very much the kind words.... but as to your career, there’s little I can say, beyond: you’ve got to want it more than all the other folks competing for your spot.

Everybody must find their own way. The routes I took are all documented in the book Benji & Me (Amazon; Benji.com), but it would never work that way for anyone else. Someone once said words to the effect that luck is being well prepared for whatever opportunity presents itself. I add to that: whatever job you do, do it as well as it can be done regardless of whether you really want to do it or not. If you choose to do it, or accept the task, give it your best. Such discipline creates good habits.

Also, be a person of action. Don’t sit around waiting for something to happen. Be out there in the midst of it all doing everything possible to pave the way for those “opportunities” I mentioned.

And above all, don’t give up. There’s a story about the tribes of Aborigines in Australia who claim make rain for the planters during droughts. One tribe supposedly never failed. A planter went looking for that tribe and asked the king if it were true that they never failed. The king said absolutely true. “How do you do that?” asked the planter. “We don’t quit until it rains,” said the king. So you see, the only thing you need do to be successful is: never quit.

- Joe Camp & Benji


Benji Off the Leash available everywhere on DVD now!
Order online at www.Benji.com/BenjiMarket/buybotlfilm.htm
And see what Joe’s up to at www.benji.com/joecamp.htm


I sent him a thank you a day later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home