A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Friday, February 10, 2006

February 1st - February 3rd

Wednesday February 1st

I just finished a great book today, called “The One Minute Millionaire.” For full disclosure, I actually bought this book when it was released three years ago, but it sat on my shelf. What a stupid thing to do! This is one of the most empowering books I’ve ever read. Basically, it states that anyone, regardless of social class, can become a millionaire if they will just devote their thoughts and efforts to the goal. Spending even one minute a day aligning your focus towards making a million can make a difference. The authors also explain that giving back to the community and to charity is one of the key things that makes most millionaires successful. Using the strategies outlined in this amazing book, I too will be a millionaire in just a short time (you can quote me on that and hold me to it.) I’m writing to the authors to let them know just how much of an impact they’ve had.

Mark Victor Hansen

This man co-authored the wildly popular “Chicken Soup for the Soul” book series which have sold millions of copies all over the world. He is also an accomplished motivational speaker and has won many awards and degrees for his work.

Robert Allen

Made his name in the 1970’s with a revolutionary book called “Nothing Down” which helped ordinary people make millions in real estate investing. Another best selling book of his, “Multiple Streams of Income” echoes many of the themes in “One Minute Millionaire.”

Thursday February 2nd

Today is Groundhog Day, that antiquated rite of winter where the residents of Punxsatawney, Pennsylvania lift their local celebrity groundhog, Phil, out of the ground - to much fanfare- anxious to se whether he sees his own shadow, signaling a long winter. This is such a big event that all the network morning shows cover it live. Even serious meteorologists report on this bit of fuzzy weather prediction during their telecasts. For some, this is the most important weather related day of the year. In fact, the day and town are so well known that they inspired a classic comedy starring Bill Murray, called “Groundhog Day” released in 1993. Many cable stations have marathon showings of the film today. I caught one of these showings and laughed as much as I did the first time I saw it. In honor of the momentous occasion, I’m going to write to some of my favorite TV weathermen, plus two of the actors featured in memorable roles in “Groundhog Day.“ (By the way, the Phil saw his shadow, so I’m not putting my shovel away yet.)


Al Roker

I first noticed Al Roker as a local weatherman here in New York City. His self-deprecating sense of humor helped him stand out from the pack, and he was soon tapped by his bosses at NBC to substitute for the main weatherman on the network’s morning flagship “Today” show. By the 1990’s he became the permanent weatherman and a national celebrity. In addition to his duties on “Today” he’s written best-selling books and has appeared as the host or guest on many other TV programs.

Willard Scott

I’ve been watching NBC’s “Today” show since I was a kid, and one of my favorite people on the show as weatherman Willard Scott. (he held the position before Al Roker took over.) Mr. Scott’s goofy gags and announcements of people who have celebrated their 100th birthday endeared him to Americans. He still appears on the “Today” show from time to time to wish a happy 100th and to banter with Al. He also has a unique place in American pop culture history as the very first person to portray Ronald McDonald.

Stephen Tobolowsky

One of the best character actors around, Tobolowsky usually plays slimy businessmen or weasely office types. In “Groundhog Day” he plays Ned Ryerson, an insurance salesman who Bill Murray’s character variously ignores, embraces and torments during the course of the movie. He’s also well known for roles in movies like “Memento”, “Thelma & Louise” and “Mississippi Burning.”

Chris Elliot

After he burst onto the national scene in the 1980’s thanks to quirky appearances on “Late Night With David Letterman, Elliot’s unique sense of humor landed him starring roles in movies like “Cabin Boy” and his own highly acclaimed FOX TV show called “Get A Life.” His success is no surprise, as he is the son of one of the funniest comedians of the radio era, Bob Elliot, half of “Bob and Ray.”

Friday February 3rd

Today is my mother’s 60th birthday. Years ago, 60 would be considered old age, but she is in the class of the first “baby boomers.” This generation has changed the world, and as they age they continue to do so. Advances in medicine will keep them living longer, so 60 is the new 40 as they say. Even so, my mother is a bit down about the milestone, so I’ve decided to write to one of her favorite singers, who just turned 60 as well, and ask him to send her words of cheer.


February 3rd also marks the 47th anniversary of “the day the music died” the tragic plane crash that claimed the lives of musicians Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and J.P. Richardson, known as The Big Bopper. In 1971, singer Don McLean immortalized the tragic date with his instant classic “American Pie.” Since I can’t write to Mr. Holly or Mr. Valens, I’ll write to the actors who played them in their biographical films. I’m also writing to Mr. McLean.

Rod Stewart

A Grammy award winner and rock & Roll Hall of Fame member, Stewart has had quite a career in his 40 years in the music business. Known for his gravelly Scottish voice, he has had number one hits from the disco era hit “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy” to “Maggie May.”

Don McLean

Best known for “American Pie”, McLean is also a prolific songwriter, responsible for hit songs like “Killing Me Softly”, “Crying” and “Vincent.”

Lou Diamond Phillips

He is best known for his heartbreaking portrayal of Richie Valens in “LaBamba” but Mr. Phillips has had an accomplished career with roles in films like “Young Guns” and “Stand & Deliver” as well as his Tony nominated Broadway debut in “the King & I.”

Gary Busey

An overnight success with his Oscar nomination for “the Buddy Holly Story” Busey has had memorable roles in films like “Lethal Weapon” and “Under Siege” His eccentric behavior has also gotten him into some trouble over the years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home