A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Friday, June 23, 2006

A reply from a Hollywood expert/Disney fan


Leonard Maltin

Reference date: January 31st



I just got an email reply from one of my favorite movie critics, Leonard Maltin, a fellow Disney fan/expert, and author of many books on Hollywood and its history.


Here is his letter:

Hi Chris...

I don't know what you must think of me after writing and then hearing nothing at all for such a long time. I've just come off a string of deadlines and in cleaning up my office I found your letter at the bottom of a huge stack of unread papers and magazines. I'm so sorry!

I can't tell you how much it means to hear from someone who's followed my work so closely over the years... and who obviously has such passion for Walt Disney.

I think your idea of bringing him to life is a good one, and you couldn't have a better role model than Hal Holbrook. But I'm afraid getting permission to do this is going to present some hurdles. I recently spoke to Diane Disney Miller, who said she can't think of anyone pretending to be her father, ever. I don't know who at the Disney studio would take on the responsibliity of saying yes, either.

What I do suggest is that you talk to a lawyer and determine whether or not you NEED permission to portray a public figure who is no longer living. I don't think you do--as witness two different films on Truman Capote within a year's time.

Beyond that I can only offer good luck as you follow your dream.

cheers,

Leonard Maltin


I sent him a thank you email the next day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home