A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, August 07, 2006

The Garden Hotline responds




Ralph Snodsmith

Reference date: February 14th






My grandmother and father were avid listeners of Ralph Snodsmith's show, "The Garden Hotline" on WOR Radio here in NYC. At first, I said, why should I listen to this show if I don't know anything about gardening? After a while, I became a fan of Mr. Snodsmith's homespun wisdom, which went well beyond gardening. I let him know how much my family appreciated his show, and this was his reply:


Dear Mr. Lucas:

What a compliment!!! Thank you, your father and your grandmother for listening. And, congratulations to your father for hitting the HOME RUN. (with his wedding at Yankee Stadium)

I've only been on the air for 41 years with the Garden Hotline and have enjoyed almost every moment of it. I say almost, as with the computer age, I've seen the bad side to broadcasting with unbelievably "rude" e-mails. I guess that comes with "today's" responsibilities. Oh, well.

My advice to you "Be yourself," not what someone wants you to be.

Helen Hayes (Mrs. McArthur) who lived in Nyack, NY (I had been to her rose garden many times while an Extension Agent to help her with problems) told that to me many, many years ago while sitting on a bale of straw in an apple orchard during bloom time at Davies Farm, Congers, NY. I also asked her if she ever became nervous before going on stage. Her reply: "Every time until I open my mouth. Then I'm composed again." The same happens to me. I'm nervous right up to air-time or before I get up in front of an audience. As soon as the red light comes (ON-AIR), I'm just me, as calm as a cucumber, sometimes rather wilted though.

I try to be the same person off-air as on-air. What you hear is what you get. With a live audience, the same happens. I generally start with a big mistake that I might have made just to show them that I'm me.

Another mentor, the late Dr. Pascal P. Pirone, Pathologist and Director of Education at the NYBG, impressed upon me that it's all to say "I don't know." He was quite aware that I say that to many callers, particularly from their descriptions. So, I'll keep saying "Don't know."

One more inspiration, the late Thomas Everett, Author of the 3,000,000 word Encyclopedia of Horticulture and Gardening, published by the NYBG. This gentlemen, and I mean gentlemen, had forgotten more in is life that I ever will know. He had a mind like an encyclopedia and never missed a beat.

Sorry for rambling so.......... and best to you and your family. Continued success to you.

KEEP COOL

Ralph L. Snodsmith


I sent him a thank you the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home