A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Saturday, August 12, 2006

A very talented actress replies



Mary Birdsong


Reference date: August 2




One of the funniest people I've ever seen onstage, Mary Birdsong, is currently appearing in Martin Short's Broadway show, "Fame Becomes Me."

Mary, also a NJ native, was born just a few months before me, and moved to NYC twenty years ago to pursue a career. In the last few years, she's taken off, not only as a stage actress, but in her ensemble role as one of the police officers on the hit TV show "Reno:911" (Soon to be a major motion picture.) More information can be found on her website: Marybirdsong.com.

I wrote to Mary just after seeing her on Broadway, and this was her reply by email:

Chris­,

What a gem you are.

You caught me at a good time. I'm all hopped up from a show and a lot of tea. It will be stream of consciousness and manic and may seem like the ramblings of a madwoman, but if I don't answer now I don't know if I'll make time to do so later. Here goes....

First... You have already done something that I would include in my advice top 10: You asked for help.(lt makes you better informed. And besides, people always love being asked for advice. It makes them feel important and puffs their egos up. My ego is super-puffed right now.) The fact that you have resolved to do this practice means you are miles ahead of a lot of actors who would rather sit on a bar stool and talk about how crappy (insert huge star's name here) is than ask them how they GOT to be a huge star. (I'm not saying I'm a huge star but you get my drift)

Secondly?

Well, it's so general... but I guess I'd say the most important thing is to really stick to what YOU want to express.What turns YOU on as a performer? Don't spend your precious time asking yourself what THEY want you to be. This philosophy is totally applicable even to something as seemingly mercenary and innocuous as a Voice Over audition. Go in there and crack YOURSELF up. Doing THAT instead of trying to get the job is a) more effective, and b) more FUN!

Just keep asking yourself "WHAT DO I WANT TO SAY?" WHAT DO I WANT TO CONTRIBUTE??" I think really paying attention to that is valuable, and it gets to the real essence of what it is to be a performer. It is an act of GIVING SOMETHING. So give something. Every time you audition or perform, give what only YOU can give. So many actors want only to get get get. I think the ones who wind up having the most satisfying careers are the ones who are bringing something to'the party. Their talent. Their take on some lame copy that they can make better, etc. That's all any casting director wants... to feel like you just came to their house and gave them an awesome little present.

And I think it is very important to listen to that really quiet and weird inner voice that says "I kind of have this weird fantasy of doing a show that is all about basket weaving in ancient Mesopotamia." No matter how weird or stupid an idea might seem to you, if it keeps popping up and it excites you, I guarantee you that It will excite others. So DO it.

I have had more good things come from some silly idea that excited me than anything I heard THEY wanted me to do.

Refuse to go away. That's a big one. It took me 20 years to get the Broadway show I wanted. And In those 20 years, I have constantly put up my own shows, or done sketch shows with other people, etc. If no one was hiring me, I kept performing to remind them that I was here and I was worth looking at again. Be a presence. Wherever you CAN be. force people to reckon with you by being a presence in the performing community.

Lastly... cultivate yourself-I mean find out who you are apart from being an actor. Develop hobbies, study weird topics. Have a baby. build a boat. Whatever it is... live a full life outside this crazy industry so you have something to bring to it besides knowing the quickest way to get from Beth Melsky's casting office to Liz Lewis.

I must stop now. I'm thrilled that you liked the show, and thank you for giving me an excuse to avoid some other tasks I should go do now.

All my best,

Mary

P .S. If you come back to the show with your wife, family, etc you must say hi again and tell me all about the big movie you just booked. :)


I replied by email almost immediately

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home