A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, October 16, 2006

October 10th

Fiji becomes an independent nation - 1970

Ratu Josefa Iloilo - President

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of independence, it wasn't until June of 1971 that Japan and the United States signed the treaty that reverted control of Okinawa from the United States to Japan. More than seven years later, at 6:00 am on July 30th, 1978, traffic on Okinawa reverted from driving on the right side of the road (in keeping with American control since the war) to the wrong - I mean - left side. It sounds simple enough, but when I arrived six months later, I found driving trecherous. For one thing, the cars hadn't changed, and, except for brand new models, still had left-hand steering, especially well-used beater cars that GIs were likely to buy. Road signs and traffic signals still faced the wrong way, or sometimes the right way, but out of your view on the wrong side of the road! Also, busses tended to drop people in the middle of the road, instead of at the curb! Also, the clientelle of businesses on divided highways changed overnight as traffic headed in the other direction would now turn in (imagine the inconvenience of every place you've ever pulled into now being on the wrong side of the road)!

Oh, by the way, my point was that Okinawa is still trying to negotiate independence from Japan!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home