A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Reply number two



Paul Levitz (DC Comics)

Sent January 16th - Replied January 26th


This reply comes from Paul Levitz, the Publisher of DC Comics. It was written on the coolest stationery I've ever seen. (The DC Comics logo was supported on a pedestal by Superman, Batman, Plastic Man, Robin and Wonder Woman.)

I asked him, as I do all business people, for advice on advancing in my particular field. I also asked him what the challenges are of being the publisher of the oldest comic book company in the world. Here is his courteous answer:


Dear Mr. Lucas,

Thanks for the kind words.

I don't have any singular advice to offer, particularly as the career journey of an actor is somewhat different than that of a writer. If you're managing to feed your family from a career in the arts, take great joy in that---it's no small accomplishment in modern America.

The best parts of my job are the work I get to do with creative people in so many different fields, which provides constant intellectual challenge.

The hardest parts are always working with people within the inherent challenges of a corporate environment.

Good Luck in your endeavors,

Sincerely,

Paul Levitz

President & Publisher

DC Comics



I sent him a thank you note the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home