A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, March 06, 2006

March 5th

Sunday March 5th

This is my favorite day of the year, Oscar day! This evening, the 78th Annual Academy Awards will be held at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood. One of my goals in life is to win an Oscar (heck, who am I kidding, just to be nominated and attend the ceremony would be the thrill of a lifetime.) I’ve been watching the Oscars with great interest since I was a little kid. In the last few years, my friend Andy and I have been conducting a friendly wager to see who can guess the most winners. (He usually beats me.) This year is the first year in a long time where I saw all five nominees for Best Picture before they were announced. To honor this momentous night, I’m writing to this year’s rookie host, and one of the nominees. In addition, I’m going to send a letter to the CEO of one of the big movie chains that I frequent, as well as the President of the academy, and two of my favorite former Oscar winners. (One of whom is the biggest movie star in the world.)

Jon Stewart

A New Jersey native like me, Jon Stewart is considered one of America's top social and comedic voices. Since taking over as the anchorman of "The Daily Show" in January 1999, Stewart's presence has seen higher ratings and awareness for himself and Comedy Central. Prior to that, Stewart's most recent television work was on HBO's critically acclaimed series-within-a-series, "The Larry Sanders Show," playing himself. On the feature film front, Stewart starred with Adam Sandler in one of 1999's biggest hits "Big Daddy." He also starred in the romantic drama "Playing by Heart" opposite Gillian Anderson which marked a departure for Stewart in that he was allowed to show more of a dramatic side of himself. He was chosen to host the 2006 Oscars earlier this year. (He’s hosted the Grammys before.)

George Clooney

George Clooney got his start in Los Angeles, a young college dropout from Kentucky who spent most of his "struggling actor" years riding to auditions on a bicycle. His first major role was in a short-lived television medical comedy/drama, E/R. Additionally, he played a handyman on the series The Facts of Life. His first significant break was a semi-regular supporting role in the sitcom Roseanne, playing Roseanne Barr's overbearing boss Booker Brooks. Clooney would achieve stardom when he was selected to play Dr. Doug Ross on the NBC hit drama ER. He has since starred in movies such as "From Dusk Till Dawn", "One Fine Day", "Batman & Robin", "Three Kings", "The Perfect Storm", and "Ocean's Eleven". He made his debut as a film director in the 2002 feature "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind". This year, he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Director for "Good Night,and Good Luck" and Best Performance By An Actor In A Supporting Role for "Syriana", as well as Original Screenplay for "Good Night, and Good Luck". He became the first person in Oscar history to be nominated for directing one movie and acting in another in the same year. He has a great show business pedigree. His Aunt is legendary crooner Rosemary Clooney, and his uncle is Academy Award winner Jose Ferrer. His cousin Miguel is also a notable actor.


Peter C. Brown

Sid Ganis

Ernest Borgnine

Tom Hanks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home