A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, November 13, 2006

Replies from the former and current U.S. Secretary of State

Back in March, to mark the 216th anniversary of the founding of the U.S. State Department by Thomas Jefferson, I wrote to some of the most recent Secretaries of State. I already recieved a reply from the office of Warren Christopher a few weeks ago saying he was too busy to answer directly, so I was expecting the same from the rest. Imagine my surprise when I got a personal letter from one of the most famous people to hold the office, and a note from the assitant to the current head of the State Department. Here are their replies:





General Alexander Haig

Reference date: March 22nd






When a list is made of notable American military heroes and distinguished veterans, it always includes former General Alexander Haig. Not only did this man graduate from West Point, he served honorably in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War, rising to the rank of four star General in the process. He later spent time in high office during the Nixon administration, then as Supreme Commander of NATO Allied Forces, before becoming Secretary of State during Ronald Reagan's first term in the 1980's. Despite his many accomplishments, General Haig will probably always be best known for his mistaken interperetation of the constitutional order of Presidential succession when he famously stated "I'm in control here" after President Reagan was shot in march 1981, and Vice President Bush was in transit. (The Secretary of State is actually fourth in line of succession after the VP, Speaker of the House and President of the Senate.) Haig also ran for President in 1988. He is currently retired, but often advises the White House and State Department on military affairs. Here is the very nice letter he wrote in response to mine:


Dear Chris,

Thank you for your letter which was forwarded this week from Palm Beach to my summer home in Virginia, where I will be until Thanksgiving.

You were very thoughtful to write and I am most grateful for your generous observations.

The advice given to you by your father on social activism, service to our country, and contributions to charity simply constitute sound anchors for a lifetime of productivity and assistance to fellow man.

With respect to motivational advice I might pass on to you -- reaching out far beyond the boundaries of one's assigned responsibilities has always been a part of my life's work. By this I mean taking prudent action to correct or even to contribute to what one considers needed efforts to improve situations which require remedy, even though they may be outside the assigned duties that one's profession entails. The stretching of one's contributions beyond the routine, on occasion, constitutes important contributions to success in life.

Incidentally, I share your conviction that show business works just like any other business or political hierarchy. You might be interested to know that I have worked with Metro-Golden-Mayer studios for two extended periods in my life as a corporate director, and I am a close friend of Kirk Kerkorian who controlled the studio on two occasions in recent years before selling it to Sony last year.

Beyond that, of course, entertainers can and have traditionally been extremely influential in influencing audiences worldwide. Their talents on numerous occasions constituted the creation of role models whose influence reached far beyond the entertainment business. For this reason I urge you to continue abiding by the good counsel of your father.

Best Wishes,

Alexander M. Haig, Jr.
General, USA (Retired)
59th Secretary of State



I sent him a thank you the next day.







Dr. Condoleezza Rice

Reference date: March 22nd





Since the U.S. is currently involved in a major military operation in two countries, and diplomatic problems are popping up all over the world, I wasn't sure whether the current Secretary of State would have the time to respond. I sent her a letter nonetheless, and was delighted to have recieved a reply from her assistant, which included a personalized autographed photo of Dr. Rice. Here are the contents of the letter( which was written on official State Department stationery.)

Dear Mr. Lucas,

On behalf of Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, thank you for your kind letter.

Secretary Rice and President Bush are committed to making the world a better place for all Americans and all people.

Please visit our website at http://www.state.gov for information on the Secretary and Department publications.

Enclosed please find an autographed photograph of Secretary Rice. Thank you for your words of encouragement and support.

Sincerely,

Portia P.

Director
Office of Public Liaison
U.S. State Department


I sent her a thank you the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home