A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, November 13, 2006

November 9th

What a momentous night! Good old Rutgers U. beat the #3 ranked college football team in the country, Louisville, in a 28-25 upset. Undefeated Rutgers then moved up in the national rankings to #6, putting them in good standing for a national championship game. Though Rutgers University played in the very first college football game ever,versus Princeton back in 1866, they have had a losing tradition in football. Last year, they made their first bowl game in three decades, and their head coach, Greg Schiano has them on the road to repsectability and prominence.

Rutgers University is the state University of New Jersey. It was founded in 1766, originally called Queens College, later named for Revolutionary War hero Colonel Henry Rutgers.

The very first college football game I ever attended was back in the 70's, when Rutgers played Army at Giants Stadium. Lest I be accused of bandwagon hopping (as happens quite often to me) I am rooting for Rutgers to go all the way because I am a New Jersey native, but also because of personal connections to the school. One of my closest friends, and a fellow tour guide, Andy S. is a proud Rutgers grad. My youngest brother, Artie, and his bride Jennifer are both Rutgers graduates and had their wedding on campus at an historic Revolutionary war era chapel last year. Their wedding reception was one of the best I've ever been to, for many reasons, not the least of which being the fact that they served the famous "Fat Darrell" Rutgers grease truck sandwiches - which were ranked #1 one in the nation - as appetizers.

To mark the greatest win in Rutgers sports history, I am writing to some famous and distinguished Rutgers alumni. (James "Tony Soprano" Gandolfini is the most famous, but I already wrote a letter to him when the "Sopranos" debuted this year.)

Bernard Marcus - Home Depot founder

Barry Schuler - fomer AOL CEO

Chef Mario Batali

Avery Brooks - actor

Bill Bellamy - actor

Calista Flockhart - actor

Kristin Davis - actor

Roger Bart - actor

Janet Evanovich - author

Mark Ecko - designer

Judy Gold - comedian

Jeff Torborg - baseball player/manager

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home