A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A reply from the French President (In French!)




Jacques Chirac

Reference date: July 14th







To my great regret, I speak only one language, my native English. I should have paid more attention while taking language classes in high school. It would have especially come in handy today, when a letter arrived in my mailbox addressed to "Monsieur" Chris Lucas. It was a personal letter from the President of France himself, which is fantastic, except that it was written entirely in French. (What did I expect?) It looked like a nice letter, hand signed on his personal stationery, but I had no idea what it said. Twenty years ago this would have been a problem, requiring me to search high and low for a translator. Not today. Thanks to the internet, I was able to find a program which instantly translated the letter from French to English. It sounds awkward in spots, but I'm sure that's the "lost in translation" part. Here is what the letter said:

My Dear Monsieur Lucas,

As the President of the Republic of France, I have read well your letter to me and am pleased to answer you.

I appreciate your expression of interest in our country and our culture and I sincerely thank you for it.

While I cannot answer directly your query about my favorite places to visit in France (there are just too many) I can tell you that if you wish to satisfy your curiosity about France, you can always visit the Consulate-general France 934, Fifth Avenue in New­York (www.consulfrance.newyork.org), or the House of France, 444 Madison Avenue (www.franceguide.com) since you live so close.

I thank you again, My Dear Mr. Lucas, for the considerate words of kindness about me and my country.

Sincerely,

Jacques Chirac
President, Republic of France


I sent him a thank you (in English) the next day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

some comments and suggested subjects

Some say that they are being answered by other than the adressee but I think the higher up you go the more apt that you will be answered by a ghost writer

Here are some suggestions for subject - (sorry if you did write to these and I missed them)

Paul Tagliabue (same home town) - Joe Nameth - Sen Bob Menendez - Uncle Floyd - an enlisted man serving in Iraq - Sec/Gen. Colin Powell - Rudy Gulliani - Sammy Gravano - that Chinese guy who eats 53 hot dogs each summer at Coney Island

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home