A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Saturday, December 16, 2006

One of the most influential people in history replies



Dr. James Watson


Reference date: April 25th







Since this is December, and my letter writing project for 2006 is coming to a close, people have asked me what reply has impressed me the most. Frankly, I'm humbled to hear from all of my "penpals" but up until now, the letter from President Clinton has held the top spot. That changed today, when I got a handwritten card from a man chosen in a recent poll as the fifth most influential person in human history. (Not American history, like a US President, but human history, as in thousands of years of achievements.)

Dr. James Watson, along with his partner Dr. Francis Crick, is credited with unlocking the genetic secrets of the DNA structure in the late 1950's. Their discovery has led to the eradication and prevention of many diseases and hereditary ailments, as well as aiding research into the causes of and cures for cancer and other human scourges. DNA has also played a big part in criminal investigations.

This is what Dr. Watson wrote to me from his laboratory (he's still researching at age 80):


Dear Chris,

My main recipe for success is to do things in ways that others fear to tread.

Sincerely,

James D. Watson


I sent him a thank you card the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home