A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Saturday, December 16, 2006

December 12th

Hanukkah (forgive me if I didn't spell it the right way, I grew up in an Irish Catholic family) begins tonight. The Jewish "Festival of Lights" celebrates the rededication of the ancient Temple after its desecration under Antiochus IV. Spiritually, Hanukkah commemorates the "Miracle of the Oil". According to the Talmud, at the re-dedication of the Temple in Jerusalem following the victory of the Maccabees over the Seleucid Empire, there was only enough consecrated olive oil to fuel the eternal flame in the Temple for one day. Miraculously, the oil burned for eight days - which was the length of time it took to press, prepare and consecrate new oil.

Traditionally in the U.S. Hanukkah has been overshadowed by Christmas on television and in popular culture. In the late 1990's one comedian made his mark by writing a tongue-in-cheek song all about Hanukkah, which has taken its place among the holiday standards, and will be played on the radio for many years to come. I'm writing to him for eight days in a row (just kidding) to honor his contribution to this festive occasion.

Adam Sandler

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home