A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Saturday, December 16, 2006

A reply from a great author




Anne Rice

Reference date: August 25th






When I was in college in the 1990's, Anne Rice's "Vampire" books were the hottest things on campus. When the movie, "Interview With A Vampire" starring Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt was released, her profile rose even higher. This New Orleans native was always associated with the macabre and goth lifestyle, but in recent years she has emabraced her Catholic upbringing and written more spiritual works. Her latest book, "Christ the King: Out of Egypt" is a tale of Jesus' early life as his family travels across the deserts of the Middle East, and he discovers himself.

I've read most of her books, and I was pleased to get an email from her just the other day. She wrote the following:

Dear Chris,

Thanks for the very generous expression of support.

Most mentors are an obstacle. The main thing is this: ignore critics. And go on producing or performing or doing whatever it is you feel you must do in the arts.

The world needs you. The critics are vampires. And that includes your friends as well as the guys in the newspapers. It's easy to criticize. Anyone can do it.

Being an artist takes faith and guts. Look at Mel Gibson. "Apocalypto" is brilliant, just brilliant; and the Hollywood community wants to blackball the guy. Typical garbage.

Go for it. Don't let anyone stop you. Just do what you believe in and fulfill your dreams.

Take care,

Anne Rice.


I sent her a thank you by email immediately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home