A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, January 15, 2007

A reply from the Pope




Pope Benedict XVI


Reference date: April 14th






I grew up in a Catholic household (My Grandmother and Father were extremely devout, saying the Rosary each morning) and I attended 12 years of Catholic School. Our house featured a prominent picture of the Pope in our living room.

In my lifetime, there were only three Popes, Paul VI (who I vaguely remember) John Paul I (who only lasted a few months) and John Paul II, perhaps the most famous Pope ever. When John Paul II pased away in 2005, his successor was his right hand man, Cardinal Ratzinger from Germany, who took the name Pope Benedict XVI.

I wrote to the Holy Father on Good Friday last year, not knowing whether I'd get a response. I was pleased to receive a message from his Secretary of State, on Vatican stationery, on the Pope's behalf. The letter included a personally autographed photo of the Pope.

This is what the letter had to say:

Dear Chris,

The Holy Father has received your letter and he has asked me to send you this reply.

The sentiments which prompted you to write are very much appreciated, but I trust you will understand that it is not possible for him to dictate answers to all the individual letters sent to him by people throughout the world.

His Holiness will remember you and your family in his prayers. He sends cordial good wishes for your letter writing project and book.

Yours sincerely, ­

Monsignor Gabriele Caccia


I sent him a thank you the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home