A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Another award winner replies





Geoffrey Rush

Reference Date: February 7th






As an actor, I'm always delighted to hear from other actors, especially ones with award winning pedigree. I was pleasantly surprised then to receive a letter this week from a man who has won an Oscar and an Emmy, Geoffrey Rush.

Probably most famous for his portrayal of Captain Barbossa in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series, Rush originally won acclaim for his portrayal of the mentally handicapped piano player David Helfgott in 1996's "Shine." His work in that film made him the first Austrailian actor to win an Academy Award for Best Actor. Just a few years ago, his seemingly effortless work capturig the life of Peter Sellers for an HBO biopic got Rush an Emmy award to go with the Academy statue.

I wrote to him in February '06, after seeing him in the film "Munich." Mr.Rush sent his reply to me on the back of a postcard depicting him as Capt. Barbossa. On the front of the card he wrote "Hang In there Chris!" (see photo above) and this is what he had to say on the back:

Dear Chris,

I did theater for 25 years before films... state subsidies, repertory, etc. so it was never for money or fame... This helped!

I have always taken big and small roles. Sometimes it's good to lead a company, and sometimes it's good to lurk on the side and allow for quiet experimentation.

Occasionally it's important to take a real risk - to meet a personal challenge and truly be prepared to fail.

Generally, I approach most things with pure gut instinct - more often than I end up following my initial reaction.

Always keep at it - better to be working than not.

Hope all goes well.

Best, Geoffrey Rush

P.S I only received your letter of February '06 in August '07. Sorry.


I sent him a thank you card.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home