A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A respected theologian replies



Father Ted Hesburgh

Reference Date: November 27th





The University of Notre Dame has always held a special place in my heart. I did not attend the school, but their team name is "the Fighting Irish" and their long storied history of academics and sports is matched by few others.

For many years, the public face of Notre Dame has been Father Theodore (Ted) Hesburgh, who was President of the University from 1952-1987 and was awarded the prestigious US Presidential Medal of Freedom. The University's library is named for him. (I actually sent the letter to Father Hesburgh c/o the Father Hesburgh Library. How often is someone's name the same as their mailing address?)

This is what Father Hesburgh had to say in his reply to me:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for that wonderful letter. I have just the advice you need.

All of my life I have realized that we need special inspiration from God to do what He wants us to do - to enlighten us about that and give us the strength each day to carry it out. I have found that, after more than sixty years as a priest, the best I can do in beginning each day is to pray a very short prayer: "Come, Holy Spirit". That puts you at the disposal of the Spirit for all the inspiration and strength you need.

I find that through the day when I face a problem which seems to have no answer, I simply pray, "Come, Holy Spirit". The answer becomes apparent and I think I have the right words to say to the person with the problem.

This is also a great prayer for your personal life. There are many options we all have in life and, as we face them, it is important to pray, "Come, Holy Spirit", so that we will know the right things to do and we will have the strength to do it. The Spirit brings us both the inspiration and the strength.

I hope this is helpful to you and I encourage you to keep up the good life you have begun. I know, with the help of the Holy Spirit you will have great fruits. It will also bring you great peace.

With a daily prayer for you and yours, and all blessings from here,

Ever devotedly in Notre Dame,

Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh, C.S.C.
President Emeritus, University of Notre Dame


I sent him a thank you the next day

1 Comments:

Blogger Biaggio said...

Chris, Ted Hesburgh is The Catholic of the Ages. He has no peer. John Tracy Ellis, accurately said of him that no American bishop comes near him in accomplishments. "Not even close" are his exact words. Nice idea. I will write him also.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home