A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Thursday, October 25, 2007

A very funny man replies




Leslie Nielsen

Reference Date: May 18th






My taste in comedy is all over the map. I appreciate great writing and witty banter (like the Marx Brothers and Abbot & Costello) but also have laughed very hard at the slapstick humor of Laurel & Hardy and the surrealism of Monty Python. It's very rare to find one actor that can employ all those different styles in one role and still make it work. Leslie Nielsen is one of those people.

This Canadian born actor (his father was a Royal Canadian Mountie) began his film career in serious and heroic roles, but in 1980 was redefined with his work in the classic and groundbreaking comedy "Airplane." This led to his most famous and enduring role, that of Lt. Frank Drebin in the "Police Squad/Naked Gun" TV show and movies. He is so associated with comedy now, that I think it would be hard for him to slip back into serious roles.

Mr. Neilsen sent me a postcard with just a few words of advice on the back. This is what he wrote:

Chris,

My advice: I take a pass on all advice!

Words of Encouragement: Always sit down whenever you can!

Major pitfalls: They're usually closed during the day, so never go out at night.

I never look for "great lessons"

My daily habit for success: a morning bowl of fibre and blue berries.

Much luck and laughter -

Leslie Nielsen


I sent him a thank you card.

1 Comments:

Blogger elly said...

I enjoyed the letter you received from Mr. Rush. How did you locate his contact information.
Thanks for sharing....
Elly

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home