A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Friday, February 29, 2008

A well respected actor replies




Norman Lloyd


Reference date: September 10th



One of my life goals is to be listed among the notable people born and raised in Jersey City, New Jersey. The list is a good one, including people like Nathan Lane, Martha Stewart and Flip Wilson. One of the more interesting members of this club is a man who has spent more than seven decades in show business as an actor, director and producer.

Norman Lloyd is probably best known as Dr. Auschlander on the classic 1980's medical drama "St. Elsewhere." In his early career, he was part of the original Mercury Theater Company run by Orson Welles. He also starred in Alfred Hitchcock's film "Saboteur" where he had a famous scene hanging from the crown of the Statue of Liberty.

He was, like many actors, unfairly blacklisted during the Communist witch hunts of the 1950's, so his acting career came to a halt. Alfred Hitchcock helped him by making him a producer/director on "Alfred Hitchcock Presents."

Since St. Elsewhere, Mr. Lloyd has continued working (into his 90's!!) as a guest star in many TV shows and movies. I wrote to ask him for advice, and this was his kind reply:

Dear Mr. Lucas,

You ask if there is any advice I can pass on to an actor. It is this: MEAN EVERY WORD YOU SAY.

This was the advice given to me in 1932 by our greatest actor at the time, Alfred Lunt. I pass it on to you.

Sincerely Yours,

Norman Lloyd


I sent him a thank you note the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home