A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Monday, December 25, 2006

December 16th

As we come to the end of 2006, I have decided to ask some of my friends, family members and associates for suggestions as to people I should write to. I was overwhelmed with responses and will take the next two weeks to include some of the submissions.

The first one comes from my friend, mentor, and one of the most generous people I've ever met. His name is Lee Gelber, and he is perhaps the greatest New York City tour guide ever. Most refer to him as the "dean" of NYC guides.

While other guides know their facts and history back and forth (which Lee does as well) Mr. Gelber blends his tours with an incredible sense of timing, humor, and vaudeville schtick. I learned everything I know about creating a successful tour from him. In fact, I've based my mantra as tour guide (I'd rather entertain my guests first and hope they learn something along the way, than to try to lecture them first and hope they are entertained along the way) on his work. I would not be where I am today if it were not for Lee Gelber. There are few people in the world I admire more than him. (And he's a lifetime supporter of the Bronx Bombers, which is a plus in my book!)

OK, enough with the platitudes.

Lee made some excellent New York flavored suggestions of people that I overlooked. I am going to contact them to fill in the gaps that I missed from the city that I love. They are:

Tony Award winning actress Audra McDonald

former NYC mayor Ed Koch

Award winning columnist and writer Pete Hamill

NY Knick legend Walt "Clyde" Frazier

CBS News veteran Charles Osgood

P.S: If you are interested in hiring Lee for an excellent tour of "The Big Apple" (the best you'll ever have), you can contact him at nydean@verizon.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home