A Letter A Day

One year, 365 letters. A letter a day. My resolution for 2006. I’ve always enjoyed writing letters and I want to get back in the habit. I'm not limiting myself to a letter a day. 365 is just the minimum. My goal is to get a 20% response rate. This is the official chronicle of my “year of writing letters.” Thanks for reading! - Chris Lucas

Name:
Location: Meadowlands, New Jersey, United States

Thursday, December 28, 2006

December 26th

It's Boxing Day! This traditional "switching" holiday in the British commonwealth is a day when servants trade places with their masters, and officers trade roles with enlisted men.

Since I don't know much about that part of Boxing Day, I'm going to use it as an excuse to write to some of my favorite all time boxers, and people associated with the sport of boxing. (In fact, my grandmother was a professional boxer - she boxed apples and oranges for a produce company.)

Ruben "Hurricane" Carter

Lou Duva

Teddy Atlas

Bert Sugar

Bobby Czyz

Oscar DeLa Hoya

James "Buster" Douglas

Joe Frazier

Arturo Gatti

Andrew Golota

Marvin Hagler

Prince Naseem Hamed

Larry Holmes

Evander Holyfield

Lennox Lewis

Mike Tyson

Sugar Ray Leonard

Micky Ward

Roy Jones, Jr.

Jake LaMotta

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I worked at Davidson Instrument Panel, Textron, in Farmington, NH, I answered to a very interesting plant manager named J. Denny Houston. He suggested, years ago, that we try a thing which he called "Jeans Day", where management would go work on the assembly lines (there was no reciprocity, though, the line workers didn't take over management). The workers, of course, thought this was great fun, and engaged management in the dirtiest, smelliest, most tedious tasks, in part to give them a chance to boss the boss around, in part to show management how stupid the workers were not and in part to show management how awful working conditions were. It always proved to be great fun for everyone in the end, because management never really did anything they didn't want to (they did, after all, make up the rules as they went along), and they served up a great company picnic afterwards. It was really a great place to work, no matter who you were, until it grew larger and larger, and corporate takeovers eventually forced that assembly plant to close. It was really a bad thing in the end, because there were not a lot of other opportunities in the hills of New Hampshire. That's sort of what brought me to New Jersey, but that's another story! Once again, you entertain us Chris! I can't wait to see you in the new year!

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home